Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Search for the Medieval book collector

I am researching into private collections of books from the Middle Ages. I love the idea that some people identified books as something they’d like to own and have in their homes and I'd like to find out about some of the individuals who thought that way and how they went about it. I imagine there will be some overlap with those actually creating the books – writing and illustrating them - as I also love the idea of someone sitting in their scriptorium, illuminating their tale.

As to how I shall be setting about my quest, I am unsure. Some of the collections may have developed into libraries or as bequests to libraries, so that might be a way in to the subject. Currently, although I have found what looks like an excellent article about a woman collector in France, I want to find out the background first - the early history of books, who created them, and how people went about organising to collect any.

No comments:

Post a Comment